Saturday, August 29, 2009

The View from Birch Drive

That's what I want to write about today, how the beauty of Sedona keeps surprising me, taking my breath away when I least expect it. Yesterday I decided to drive around my neighborhood for a while, to see it all before I depart on Monday morning. I headed up Willow Way, which climbed up and up, then circled around at the end to bring me to the very top of Birch Drive.

The sight of red cliffs in sunset light greeted me, spread regally across the deepening-to-indigo horizon. For at least the millionth time since I arrived here, "Oh!" formed on my lips and issued from my throat. It happens almost involuntarily. I wish I had photos to share now, and I promise to take some today so you can at least catch a glimpse of what I saw.

My awe of this singular and sacred destination grows greater with each passing hour. Leaving will be difficult, yet I am eager to see the Grand Canyon (for the first time ever!) and to experience the magic of New Mexico, for I've no doubt beauty and sacredness exist there as well.

On a more mundane note, I discovered another restaurant yesterday, a vegetarian eatery on the very edge of town called D'lish. They have outside seating, and bit more casual approach. I chose what I wanted from the menu, then ordered at the counter and received an order number.

I had one of their make-your-own smoothies. They promised two bananas, and let me choose one other fruit, as well as a juice. I added blueberries and pineapple coconut juice, to super-yummy effect! I also ordered the guacamole wrap, which came with a choice of wheat or wheat-free tortilla. Wow! Simple, fresh, and my mouth is watering remembering the flavor! Guac, sprouts, baby spinach, shredded beets and carrots in a rice tortilla. Some alchemy involved (perhaps in part that most savory spice of hunger) made that wrap one of the yummiest creations I've ever eaten. I would definitely go back again!

The final thing I feel called to write about today is loneliness. I've been feeling a little blue the past two days, missing friends and my sweetheart. For several hours on Friday, all I could think about was kissing. I really wanted to kiss and be kissed! While at lunch I wrote a new song, called "Wishing I was Kissing Somebody," a sassy, silly blues number. I am greatful beyond words for the ability to channel my emotional states into songs and poems. Oh, and blogs, of course.

Blessings and thanks to all those friends with whom I spoke yesterday. You gave me such a gift: the easing of my isolation. I deeply cherish you!

Thanks for reading this electronic chronicle of my adventures. May you always remember than you are divine.

No comments:

Post a Comment