Monday, August 17, 2009

Selene Has Landed

For the night, at least. I'm in the Castaic inn, about 30 miles from Los Angeles. Just now I'm trying not to inhale a very late dinner of delicious leftovers. As much as I love to travel, I'm happy to be still for the moment, only my mouth and fingers moving -- along with my thoughts, of course.

Took me three tries to get into my room, which consisted of two trips back to the front desk to get a new room key that still refused to unlock the door. The first time two very nice young men a few rooms down tried to assist me, and the key card defied their efforts as well -- which I found oddly comforting. The second time, the young woman at the front desk came upstairs with me, and performed some sleight-of-hand with the key card and a master key that somehow got my newest key card to work. Oh, joy! A place to call home, at least for a few hours.

Checkout is at noon, and I plan to be gone long before then. I have a yen to stop in Santa Barbara tomorrow and see the waterfront, perhaps linger for lunch. Then it's off to Tempe, where my friend awaits. I still haven't settled with myself whether I'll make it to Tempe tomorrow. All will depend on whatever magic takes place once I get behind the wheel and tune in to my own shamanic short wave radio.

If I wake up early enough, I may take a dip in the adorably miniature swimming pool downstairs. Tonight I may journal a bit, then start reading Women Who Run with the Wolves. And no, it's not a re-read; this will actually be the first time.

I thought I would write a very different blog tonight, perhaps throwing in some poetic place names I noticed along the way: Pacheco Canyon, Coalinga Canal, and a few others that have already faded. Most likely the only one that will stay with me is Castaic, since that's where I am right now. The Inn's sign shone like a beacon in the dark Los Angeles county night, with its red letters on brightly lit white surrounded with blinking movie marquis bulbs. And here I am, in a very large, clean, comfortable, reasonably priced room with a refrigerator (for me, an absolute must), wireless internet, and (thank goddess!) air conditioning. Oh, and let's not forget a working key card!

The exhilaration of the road is giving way to sleepy contentment, though I know I will stay up at least a few more hours. Take care, and (if you like) stay turned for further adventures.

Thanks for reading, and may you have sweet dreams.

1 comment:

  1. Love the screaming purple background! Keep me posted on your arrival. ~E

    ReplyDelete