Sunday, September 6, 2009

Up with the Sun in the Land of Enchantment

I'm up way earlier today than usual. At the left is a photo of sunrise over downtown Albuquerque. Today I'm driving to Taos to have a look at sacred mountains and get a feeling for one more place in New Mexico.

So far I have mixed feelings about my experience here. I adore Old Town Albuquerque. To me, it feels as though this city's soul resides there. The tours I took were magical, the guides knowledgeable and genuine. Yet even here in a city of nearly one million residents, food is a huge challenge for me. Luckily there are a few Asian restaurants, as well at two Whole Foods grocery stores, or I would feel more hard pressed than I currently do to find healthy food. Well, food that fits with my diet and food sensitivities, that is.

New Mexican cuisine is based heavily on Old Mexican, so I find a lot of beef, pork, cheese, bread, and beans on standard menus. I can't eat the first two, am better off avoiding the third, am allergic to the fourth and, while I can eat the fifth, I find them as challenging (and musical) to digest as most people.

I'm happy to say I've had a great time in general, though, getting to know Albuquerque's history and seeking New Mexico's soul. If the food could be less challenging, perhaps I would love it here without reservation.

Stay tuned for more tomorrow, which will be my final day in the Land of Enchantment and Challenging Food. Take care, and thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment