Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Good, the Blad, and the Drugly

Thought I'd add a touch of holiday cheer
Yes, you read that post title correctly. I'm sitting at home with a bladder infection, popping over the counter remedies and drinking a magical health potion of lemon juice, stevia, tea tree oil, anise oil, orange, lemon, and grapefruit oils plus two drops of oregano oil. I also have a heating pad in my lap to assist with pain management. Have I mentioned how much I'd rather be going out tonight with my poet friend Clara to see two other friends, Don and Jeanne, feature at Sacred Grounds? Well, I would.

Yesterday was a little too much for me. I arrived at the Alameda post office on Shore Line Drive at 11 am on the dot to submit my passport application and have photos taken. The clerk behind the counter informed me that she "didn't touch the camera," so "no pictures on Tuesday." This when I had called ahead the previous Friday and the man who answered the phone said he would "make a note" that I also needed photos. Luckily there was a Big Name Drug Store nearby where I could have passport pics taken (for a few dollars less than at the USPS, I might add). Long story shorter, what might have taken 20 minutes ended up taking over an hour. Arrrgh!

After that I spent about four hours with my friend Cathy, receiving an amazing hypno-massage session and helping her with her book about her dad in trade.

I left at 4:30 and drove to the Lakeview branch of the Oakland Library, where I teach a free two-hour writing workshop one day each month (usually the fourth Tuesday). I'm including the first five months of dates at the end of this post, in case you're interested in writing with me, along with the times and address.

Did some shopping at Trader Joe's, which was in the neighborhood, then parked and skated into the library about a second after the bells in the church tower stopped ringing  6 pm (which is when the class begins).

After that I had a date with my other beloved. Yes, I am revealing it in this blog for the first time: I am polyamorous, which means (in my case) that I am happily married and also have a lover. My husband and sweetheart are each aware the other exists, and while they have yet to meet, each knows a fair amount about the other. My lover and I had a delightful time together, after which I arrived home around midnight.

All this activity proved too much for my poor bladder, which began painfully protesting somewhere around the middle of the day yesterday. I decided that taking the day off -- and perhaps tomorrow as well -- was the best course of action. As one of my teachers, Francesca, is fond of saying: "Even rest can be an action."

So, the Good: Both my divinely dishy sweethearts, who lovingly support me; my wonderful friends, who also lovingly support me; rest, relaxation, excellent self care and India Spice tea with coconut milk -- YUM! The Blad: my poor, sore, ouchy bladder who is protesting my uber-stressful schedule, along with the challenges always present for me during this season of ostensible joy and good cheer; and the Drugly: ibuprofen from the dollar store, over-the-counter pills from the "Feminine Care" aisle at the local drug store; my delicious potion, chock full of natural anti-virals and anti-bacterials. Oh, and loving support from myself  to myself, producing endorphins: the very best drugs of all!

Take super extra excellent care of yourselves this -- and every -- holiday season, as well as during every other season of the year.

Your comments are encouraged -- and welcome!

~Love and Blessings,
Selene~

P.S. -- The Lakeview library is located at 550 El Embarcadero (between Grand and Lakeshore Avenues) near Lake Merritt in Oakland, and the writing group meets from 6 pm to 8 pm. Here are the dates through May 2013 (all Tuesdays):

January 29
February 26
March 26
April 23
May 14


No comments:

Post a Comment